WHAT DOES PTO DO?
- We organize yearly events that help raise funds for school supplies and teachers.
- We coordinate school events and raise funds for a cause with events like Jump-a-Thon and Toys for Tots.
- We create a community of fun and exploration for the students by bringing a petting zoo to our fall festival and fun games and rides for all to enjoy.
- We host a PTO meeting for all room mom’s to go over the yearly events and fundraisers. Room moms are a big help for our school activities, but we are always in need of volunteers.
- Ongoing fundraisers – Box Tops for Education
Independence vs. Affiliation
The technical differences between a PTA and a PTO are fairly simple. The National PTA is a formal membership organization headquartered in Chicago with a 105-year history of working for children. Local groups that choose to belong to the PTA must pay dues to the state and national organizations and abide by state and national group rules. In return, they get member benefits, and they get a voice in the operations of the larger organization. The National PTA maintains a Washington, D.C., lobbying office, and most state PTAs advocate at their respective state capitals, as well. The PTA carefully protects its name, so that in theory only dues-paying members of the group can call themselves a PTA.
PTO, on the other hand, is a more generic term. It generally represents the thousands of groups that choose to remain independent of the PTA. These are most often single-school groups that operate under their own bylaws and by and large concern themselves with the goings-on at their building or in their town only.
Montessori Academy runs with a PTO and every year we welcome new members. We need your dedication and time.
PTO EVENTS OF THE YEAR
The PTO is always looking for parents to help with our book fairs and festivals. This year we need help with the following activities:
If you wish to volunteer for any of these events, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org